Restore Your Smile with Dental Crowns and Bridges
Are damaged or missing teeth causing you to hide your smile? Are you embarrassed by tooth decay, broken, or cracked teeth? Don’t hide any longer. Get your beautiful smile back with a dental crown or dental bridge.
Dental crowns and bridges repair damaged teeth and replace missing teeth. Often made of tooth-colored porcelain, most dental crowns and bridges look like your natural teeth — so no one will ever know the difference.
Dental crowns or bridges can improve your smile by:
- Replacing missing teeth or covering a dental implant
- Filling in unsightly gaps and spaces between your teeth
- Repairing cracks and chips in your teeth
- Covering a discolored or poorly shaped tooth
- Covering a tooth that has had a root canal
When Do You Need a Dental Crown?
Many things can cause changes to your smile – teeth grinding, general decay, cracked fillings, and root canals, to name a few. In addition, as we age, our teeth are prone to decay. If damage to a tooth cannot be repaired with a simple filling, you may need a dental crown.
There are 3 different types of dental crowns:
- Porcelain crown: Usually used for the front teeth, porcelain crowns can be made to match your natural teeth.
- Gold crown: Mostly used for back teeth, gold crowns are especially strong and durable.
- Porcelain fused-to-metal crown: This type of crown combines the natural look of porcelain with the strength and durability of a gold or metal crown.
A full crown restoration is usually completed in two visits. We will begin by removing any tooth decay. Next, we’ll take an impression of your tooth, which will be used to create your new dental crown. In the meantime, we’ll fit you with a natural-looking temporary restoration.
During your second visit, we’ll complete the final crown restoration. Your new dental crown will be fitted comfortably into your mouth. We’ll make every effort to ensure that the new tooth feels exactly like one of your natural teeth. Then we’ll cement the crown into your mouth, leaving you with a beautifully restored smile.
When Do You Need a Dental Bridge?
Tooth loss not only affects how your smile looks, but also the way you eat, how you speak and the alignment of your other teeth. Aside from dentures, a dental bridge is one of the few options available for replacing a missing tooth. A dental bridge literally bridges the gap between missing teeth, helping to restore your smile. Bridges work by attaching the natural-looking restorative teeth (or bridge) to both sides of the gap.
There are three main types of bridges:
- Traditional bridges involve creating a crown for the tooth or implant on each side of the missing tooth and placing a dental bridge in between. Traditional bridges are the most common type of bridge and are made of either porcelain fused-to-metal or ceramics.
- Cantilever bridges are used when there are adjacent teeth on only one side of the missing tooth or teeth.
- Maryland-bonded bridges (also called resin-bonded bridges or Maryland bridges) are made of porcelain teeth and gums supported by a metal framework. Metal wings on each side of the bridge are bonded to your existing teeth.
A dental bridge is usually completed in two visits. We will begin by preparing your natural teeth, or abutments, to have the bridge placed. We will shape the abutment teeth so that the ends of the bridge will fit comfortably on each one. Next, we’ll take an impression of your teeth, which will be used to create your new dental bridge. In the meantime, we’ll fit you with a natural-looking temporary restoration.
During your second visit, we’ll complete the final dental bridge restoration. Your new dental bridge will be fitted comfortably into your mouth. We’ll make every effort to ensure that the new bridge looks and feels natural. Then we’ll cement the bridge, leaving you with a beautifully restored smile.
Get Your Smile Back at Happy Tooth Cosmetic and Family Dentistry
Don’t let damaged or missing teeth take away your smile. Get your smile back with a dental crown or dental bridge from The Happy Tooth cosmetic and family dentistry.
At The Happy Tooth, we care about our patients and treat them like family. Our experienced dental professionals will work hard to create a dental crown or dental bridge that will give you a beautiful, radiant, and natural-looking smile. You’re sure to be happy with the results for years to come.
Call The Happy Tooth today to request a smile evaluation. We offer everything from teeth whitening to veneers and will work with you to develop a personalized plan that meets your specific needs. Contact us to find the convenient North Carolina location closest to you.