Comparing the price of Invisalign to the price of braces is tricky. There’s more than just dollars at stake: You are investing in your own teeth, and so your image. The way the world sees you depends on what your treatment is like, and how successful it ends up being. So the right question to ask is: Is the Invisalign price tag justified?
Invisalign Benefits Over Braces
Any way that you align teeth takes time. This means that any procedure, whether using braces or Invisalign, will affect your lifestyle. In this regard, Invisalign does over some pretty cool advantages over braces:
- Love food? Consider what you can eat. Are you a fan of Lexington style BBQ? Or seafood from the North Carolina Coast? Or maybe you live in Greensboro, home of Cook Out, and you just can’t do without? You’ll want to enjoy all the food you’ve come to love. With Invisalign, you can eat whatever you want because the aligner trays are removable.
- You can be in control of your image. Traditional braces are hard not to notice. Because of that, they are frequently a source of embarrassment and anxiety. Invisalign is less noticeable, and can you can take it out for important events when you have to look your best-- say, at a wedding, job interview, etc.
- Oral health will be easier. Let’s be honest: Most of us here in North Carolina could be better when it comes to brushing, flossing, and other oral health habits. Traditional braces can make these even more difficult. Invisalign aligners can be removed so you can brush and floss normally.
- Nobody like pain and irritation, so… We’ve helped many patients with both Invisalign and traditional metal braces, so we’re able to compare. It’s been our experience that patients tend to complain more often with traditional metal braces. They experience mouth sores more often, complain about sharp ends of wires, and generally hate the process of getting those braces tightened. On the other hand, Invisalign aligner trays are made of smooth, comfortable, BPA-free clear plastic, and are worn over your teeth to subtly and gently move your teeth. This makes for a better experience all around. Invisalign is not irritation free, but it’s better and much easier to manage!
- Don’t put a crimp in your schedule. For most people, time is a much more serious cost than money. Traditional metal braces often need minor adjustments; even when things go smoothly, you will need to see your orthodontist at least once a month. With Invisalign, you’re looking at a visit every 4-6 weeks, as long as you follow the treatment plan. That’s much easier to fit into a busy schedule.
The Price for Invisalign, Compared to Braces
Exact costs for traditional metal braces or Invisalign vary because every case is different. Large gaps, serious misalignment, or stubborn teeth can all take longer to get into place. That said, these treatments do tend to fall with a pretty typical range.
Traditional metal braces: $3,000 – $7,000. This expense often covers the initial consult and set of x-rays, but not always, so it’s best to ask your orthodontist before proceeding.
You may also need a retainer after removal, which can be a separate cost. If you have a dental plan, or if your health insurance covers cases like yours, you might be able to cover part of the cost through your insurance.
Invisalign: $4,000 – $8,000. Invisalign has traditionally been more expensive than metal braces, simply because the software and manufacturing processes needed to create the set of aligner trays are much more sophisticated. The price of Invisalign has come down in recent years, however, as generic “knock-off” solutions enter the market. Again, the initial consult and x-rays are often included in the price.
Some providers, like us here at The Happy Tooth, frequently offer deals on Invisalign to help our patients cover the higher cost.
The Final Word?
So is Invisalign cheaper than braces? No, not if you are counting exact dollar figures. But the value you get out of Invisalign may well be much more than what you get from a more traditional course of metal braces. Invisalign especially makes sense if you want control over when and where you wear the aligners, what you eat, and how you look.
If you are seriously considering Invisalign, we suggest coming to a Happy Tooth office near you. We have locations in Burgow, Carey, Durham, Greensboro, Raleigh, Wake Forest, and more, and we are proud to be an Elite Invisalign Provider.
Want to explore Invisalign as it compares to braces?
We invite you to download our free eBook on this subject.